Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'm only sorry I didn't think of it first . . .



From salon.com today: "Conservative commentator Robert Novak leapt to Palin's defense Tuesday, pointing out that 'what cannot be measured is the impact on voters of a new, attractive and well-spoken woman.' What a presidential race this will be -- a new, attractive and well-spoken woman in one camp and an "African-American who is articulate and bright and clean" in another. We ARE progressive here in America!"

What I think: I think I wouldn't make too much hay of this tempest in a teabag. There are w-a-a-a-a-y too many families in this country with a pregnant teenage girl in them, and not all of them will be able to separate liberal glee over the typical conservative sexual/social hypocrisy embodied in this situation from liberal mockery of their situation, period. So the beauty queen who would be Vice President will become a grannie at 44, and her grandchild will have an Uncle Trig who's only a year older than him- or herself. Sounds a lot like the family I came from. I don't think there's automatically anything mockable about it. And I don't think a lot of other people will, either.

We mock Sarah Palin at our peril. Easy, easy.
Still, this poster was delicious!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG....love the poster. Wish I had thought of it first, too. However, I agree both conservatives and liberals are making too much of the Palin daughter's pregnancy. Unfortunately, I do think it's a sin that they trotted the poor thing and her baby's daddy all over the stage and in front of the cameras at the RNC just to promote "family values." Leave them alone already!

Stan C said...

Don't know what is more tragic...everyone knowing that two young people made a mistake. Or the way they are now being used by the Republican Party. Was brought up on the belief that "two wrongs don't make a right." See both these as being wrong.

Though the poster is a hoot.